The Niagara Pumphouse Arts Centre
The Niagara Pumphouse Arts Centre is a not-for-profit arts organization that was established to provide residents of the Niagara region and visitors with an environment which encourages interest in various forms of visual art. To that end, it organizes classes, workshops and exhibitions in a wide range of media.
The building is a handsome Victorian brick construction, built in 1891 on the banks of the Niagara River. It housed pumps and filter tanks supplying water to the town of Niagara-on-the-Lake until 1983. Through community effort, the building was restored and converted to a visual arts centre in 1994.