Jordan Historical Museum- School House
Built in 1859 to replace an earlier school that was destroyed by fire, S.S. #4 was large and bright, with huge windows and a carefully chosen colour scheme designed specifically to encourage attention and obedience. It became, as most schools did, a centre of community, used for the local Ladies Intellectual Club meetings, adult German language classes, and of course, the much anticipated annual Christmas pageant.
The school was in use for 89 years, until a bigger, much more modern one was built nearby. The stone school house was abandoned, stripped of its interior, and left alone. In 1952, a local winery, Jordan Wines, purchased it, and gave it back to the community. It was filled with agricultural tools and artisan’s equipment, and turned into a museum that opened in 1953.
In 1997, the school house was painstakingly restored to look as it would have in 1908. A reunion of alumni was held and contemporary School Board minutes were consulted to make sure things were set up correctly. A school field trip program has been created whereby children can come for the day, and role-play a child who was actually a student there in 1908! During the summer months, the school house is open to the public, and many a person who actually went to a one-room school themselves have been moved to tears by the memories that the highly authentic restoration brings back. The school house is also available for rentals, for weddings, meetings, and other private events.